home

Land Rover Series III 88" 1972 2.5L Di Diesel


The Land Rover as I bough it

I won an eBay auction for a 2 year old Land Rover chassis, with the intention of fitting it to a Land Rover I owned but found that the only major components that were missing were an engine, gearbox and roof: All of which I already had lying around the farm. The lower half of the bulkhead had been professionally repaired, but the top half needed a lot of work. Further investigation revealed that the Land Rover was registered as a historic vehicle, so I decided to build it up with a 2.5 direct injection diesel engine from a Transit van.


Fitting the engine

I had bought the engine 2 years previously complete with engine mounts and special flywheel housing to adapt the engine to fit a Series III Land Rover. It was necessary to make quite a few alterations to make the engine fit including: removing the original offside engine mounting from the chassis and welding the special one in it's place; Modifying the bulkhead to clear the flywheel housing and exhaust manifold; modifying the battery holder so that it was removable; fabricating a special exhaust downpipe; Modifying the Engine front crankshaft oil seal housing to clear the front axle, when the suspension was fully compressed; Linking the accelerator cable to the existing Land Rover throttle linkage; Making metal adaptors to link the engine to the Land Rover radiator and heater matrix; Making mountings for a Kenlowe electric fan and fitting.


Rebuilding and fitting the gearbox

I already had a spare gearbox, but it needed a rebuild. The work I did to the gearbox included: Replacement of front layshaft bearing and input shaft bearing, replacement of all oil seals, replacement of rear drive flange, adjustment of rear output shaft bearing.


Repairing the bulkhead

The top of the bulkhead was a nasty mess. It would not have been worthwhile if the bottom half of the bulkhead had not already been repaired to a high standard.


Repairing the floor of the rear tub

Unfortunately the floor had suffered severe electrolytic corrosion and there were several holes in it, which had been poorly repaired by riveting sheets of poor quality aluminium to it's underside. I decided that one good tub could be made out of two bad ones and so I removed the floor from the otherwise very battered spare tub and fitted it to the otherwise good tub that came with the vehicle. It sounds simple, but there were many spotwelds to break, and poprivets to drill out and replace.


Looking like a Land Rover again


Bike rack

I intended to use the vehicle mainly for weekends away camping and mountainbiking. I like wild camping along 'Green Lanes' so I needed to make a rack for carrying 2 bikes on the back of the vehicle in such a way that they do not protrude past the sides or roof line of the vehicle. This is necessary to ensure that the bikes are not damaged when forcing a way through overgrown lanes. The rack is also shaped such that the departure angle of the vehicle is not compromised and also so that the number plate and lights are not obscured. An additional requirement was that the rack should hold the bikes very securely and in such a way that the bikes could not rub against each other or against the vehicle, when bumping along rough tracks.


A coat of Tekoloid coach paint transforms the vehicle


Out and about in Mid Wales.


home